Experience a taste of Asia at Dublin Chinese New Year Festival 2020
Food brings people together and a key part of the Chinese New Year celebrations is enjoying good food with good company. From the traditional Chinese New Year Eve’s dinner right through to the tasty sticky rice balls served on the fifteenth day of the celebrations, DCNYF will be serving up delicious dining experiences throughout the festival.
From decadent banquets, food tours and cocktail classes to lectures on the history of Chinese Dumplings and even workshops on how to make your own, there are an array of events to choose from.
The festival has once again joined forces with Carrolls Irish Gifts to present the Taste of Asia programme, which celebrates the abundance of authentic Asian cuisine available in Dublin. A number of eateries are offering special ‘lunar feasts’ during the festivities. A list of participating restaurants can be found here and be sure to keep an eye out for traditional Lion Dancers making a visit to the restaurants on Friday 31st January from 6pm.
A Dublin City Council initiative, each year DCNYF invites everyone to be part of the celebrations and immerse themselves in Chinese culture.
Here’s a ‘taste’ of what’s in store …..
FOOD AND FLAVOURS
- DUMPLING DAY: Visit Asia Market for a delicious dumpling tasting experience! Dumpling making, dumpling cooking and dumpling tasting galore in store all day (31st Jan, 12 noon, free)
- Gather with good company for HOT POT NIGHT where the resident expert will provide you with a crash course in concocting the perfect hot pot (Lao Restaurant, 4th Feb, 6.30pm, tickets €25)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR FOOD EXTRAVAGANZA: Get your tastebuds ready and come hungry to experience the full flavour of an authentic Asian market in this Chinese New Year Food Extravaganza (Asia Market – Drury Street and Ballymount Stores, 1st & 2nd Feb, 12 noon – 5.30pm, free)
- A unique experience to attend a traditional CHINESE TRADITIONAL DRESS BANQUET inspired by the Song Dynasty, part of China’s golden age, where you can savour dishes from this expansive era, albeit with a contemporary twist. (Good World Restaurant, 28th Jan 1pm /6.30pm, tickets €32 special advance booking price)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR BANQUETS at The Vintage Teapot (30 Jan Sichuan Style & 6 Feb Cantonese Style, 7pm, tickets €35)
- Love dumplings and want to make your own? Join dumpling guru Li Xiu for DUMPLING MAKING WORKSHOPS to learn the basics of crafting them to crispy perfection (The Vintage Teapot, 2nd Feb & 9th Feb, 2.30pm, tickets €30)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR COCKTAILS: Chinnery Gin and The Little Pig will celebrate Chinese New Year with an evening of cocktails inspired by China. Award-winning mixologist Pat Thomas and Chinnery Gin distiller David Havelin will lead you in discovering an array of flavours from China (The Little Pig – Secret Location, 8th Feb, 5pm, tickets €40)
- SHOP AND COOK WITH CHINA SICHUAN: Asia Market are delighted to welcome the head chef from leading Chinese restaurant China Sichuan for a step-by-step guide to making the most delicious Sichuan Food at home. (Asia Market, Sat 8 Feb, 12pm, €40)
TALKS / LECTURES
- DUMPLINGS: WRAPPING UP A LONG HISTORY: At the Chester Beatty, hosted by food writer Mei Chin, find out all about Chinese dumplings, the different types, what they symbolise, where they originated from and how they are made. (25th Jan, 1.10pm, free)
- Take an ASIAN FLAVOURS WALKING TOUR and enjoy some delicious authentic Asian cuisine at different stops, while tourguide Yang Zhang explores the integral role of food in the Chinese New Year celebrations and traces the history of the Chinese community in Ireland (meet at the Spire, 1th & 8th Feb 1.30pm, tickets €20)
- Join Chinese culture expert Alice Chau-Ginguene for an unforgettable culinary adventure and sample at least 6 of these regional cuisines right here in the heart of Dublin in this TASTE OF CHINA FOOD TOUR (Meet at Sichuan Chilli King, 2nd Feb 6pm, tickets €50)
- ALICE’S CHINESE FOOD TOUR: Join Alice Chau-Ginguene to learn all about the authentic Cantonese food, language and culture Dublin has to offer (Meet at Duck Restaurant, Fade Street, 9th Feb, 12 noon, tickets €50)
- ASIA MARKET FOOD TOURS: Enjoy an exclusive tour of Dublin’s destination for Asian food and ingredients, Asia Market, at the heart of the city’s creative quarter on Drury Street (Asia Market, 26th Jan & 8th Feb, 12 noon, tickets €20)
- IRISH WHISKEY TOUR IN MANDARIN: Visit the Irish Whiskey Museum and experience the Classic Tour with a Mandarin guide (26th Jan & 2nd Feb, 2.30pm, tickets €5)